WordPress (don’t forget the capital P) is a free and open-source content management system (CMS). Simply speaking, this means that with WordPress you can easily create and manage your website without any coding experience. For free.
Why Use WordPress
There are many solutions for creating websites nowadays, right? Then why should we use WordPress exactly? Well, there are many good reasons to use WordPress. To name a few:
- Free. Anyone can download and use it to run a website.
- Easy to use. If you can deal with Microsoft Word, you’ll do fine. Trust me.
- Customizable. With dozens of free and premium themes and plugins, you can create almost anything with WordPress. From a simple blog to a news website to an online store.
- Safe. Despite many talks, WordPress core is very secure. Most attacks on WordPress sites are made through badly coded third-party themes and plugins. So don’t believe it when people say WordPress is not secure.
- Supported. WordPress now powers more than 24% of the web. With the community this big, you can always find an answer to almost any WordPress-related question you might come across. Finding a developer for a WordPress task is also not too hard.
Where to Start
So, you have decided to create your first website with WordPress. Well, that is great!
Read the intro post on the difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com to get an idea of what’s going to work best for you.
Then, if you choose the “dotorg” route, get a hosting, pick a theme and start building your website. This is going to be an exciting journey!